Over thirty years ago, Steven R Covey, renowned author, and business management guru, introduced to us “ The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People”, which presented an approach to being effective in attaining personal or business goals by aligning to what he called “True North” principles based on character ethics. This book has become a best seller, a must-read, and has sold 40 million copies worldwide.
The first three habits moving from dependence to independence (Creating self-mastery) are:
1) Be Proactive.
2) Began with the end in mind.
3) Put first thing first.
The next three habits that talk about interdependence (working with others) are:
4) Think win-win.
5) Seek first to understand, then to be understood.
The final habit is…
7) Continuous Improvement in both the personal and interpersonal spheres of influence.
I have tried to follow these habits in my life; in fact, I have developed my own ten habits based on these principles to be successful in my journey in the Reliability- Asset Management arena. These Ten Habits of Effective Reliability -Asset Management Professionals (including engineers, technicians, and managers), are:
- Define the Problem clearly: … Identify the problem and the issues behind it
- Eliminate the root of the problem: … go to the root of the problem, don’t get trapped in correcting symptoms.
- Use Data (facts) for decision-making: Use data to make the right decisions.
- Make a Win-Win for both parties: … Resolve conflicts ensuring both parties have something to celebrate.
- Develop teamwork: … All working together, no silos.
- Communicate: …. Keep people informed.
- Be Proactive: … Don’t wait for failure to happen to take action.
- Prepare for change: …. Be ready to accept change-improvements.
- Learning environment: … Learning never stops
- Adopt Continuous Improvement: … continuing improvement is must!
Make these your regular habits to be successful in your Reliability- AM or any journey you take.
Watch for more to come…